As Eskom once again plunges South Africa into darkness, the solution is clear if the ANC decides to do what is right: implement the DA’s Integrated Electricity Management Operator (IEMO) bill or the Cheaper Energy Bill.
This will drive the cost of electricity down, introduce competition into the energy sector, and diversify the country’s energy sources to introduce more renewables.
As Eskom drags the economy down with it, we continue to urge government to get out of the electricity generation business.
- Privatise electricity generation. This includes allowing citizens to generate their own power to keep the lights on.
- Change the law so businesses and individuals can sell the extra electricity they generate onto the grid for others to use.
- Offer a R75 000 tax rebate to cover the cost of installing solar systems in homes, to take pressure off the grid.
- Zero-rate VAT on LED lightbulbs and energy-efficient appliances.
- Allow municipalities to purchase power from Independent Power Producers (IPPs), rather than having to rely on Eskom.
A timeline of DA activism on Eskom
We will never stop fighting for the corrupt to be brought to justice! Here are details on the important questions the DA has put before parliament to uncover the truth behind the rot at Eskom.