We respect your privacy and take the protection of personal information very seriously. The purpose of this policy is to describe the way that we collect, store, use, and protect information that can be associated with you or another specific natural or juristic person and can be used to identify you or that person (personal information).
The purpose of this policy is to describe the way that we handle your personal information.
This policy applies to you if you are anyone whose information we have collected in the course of our activities, including:
- a visitor to our website; or
- a voter, member or supporter.
This policy applies to you under certain circumstances.
Personal information includes:
- certain information collected on registration on our website, or as a member or donor;
- certain information that we collect automatically when you visit our website;
- certain information collected on submission; and
- optional information that you provide to us voluntarily (see below);
- information that has been made anonymous so that it does not identify a specific person;
- permanently de-identified information that does not relate or cannot be traced back to you specifically;
- non-personal statistical information collected and compiled by us; and
- information that you have provided voluntarily in an open, public environment or forum including any blog, chat room, community, classifieds, or discussion board (because the information has been disclosed in a public forum, it is no longer confidential and does not constitute personal information subject to protection under this policy).
Personal information includes information we collect (i) on registration on our website, or as a member or donor, (ii) automatically when you visit our website, (iii) on submission, and (iv) from you voluntarily. It excludes (i) anonymous, (ii) de-identified, (iii) non-personal statistical, and (iv) public information.
Common examples of the types of personal information which we may collect and process include your:
- identifying information – such as your name, date of birth, or identification number of any kind;
- contact information – such as your phone number or email address;
- address information – such as your physical or postal address; or
- demographic information – such as your gender or marital status.
Sensitive personal information
We may also collect sensitive personal information, including your:
- sensitive demographic information – such as your race or ethnicity;
- employment information – including your membership of a trade union; and
- beliefs – including your political or religious beliefs.
We will always try to collect your information from you directly. We collect your information in various ways, including:
- when you register on our website, or as a member or donor;
- when you engage with us as a supporter or during our research;
- when you communicate with us; and
- when you use our website;
We collect certain information in various ways, including when you register, engage or communicate with us, or when you use our website.
On registration, engagement or communication
You will no longer be anonymous to us once you register on our website or as a member or donor, or when you give us your information through engaging or communicating with us. You will provide us with certain personal information, which may include:
- your name and surname;
- your ID number;
- your email address;
- your telephone number;
- your postal address or street address; and
- your username and password.
We will use this personal information to fulfil your account, provide additional information to you as we reasonably think appropriate, and for any other purposes set out in this policy.
We collect certain information when you register, engage or communicate with us.
We collect certain information from your web browser, including your internet usage information when you visit our website
We may place small text files called ‘cookies’ on your device when you visit our website. These files do not contain personal information, but they do contain a personal identifier allowing us to associate your personal information with a certain device. These files serve a number of useful purposes for you, including:
- granting you access to age restricted content;
- tailoring our website’s functionality to you personally by letting us remember your preferences;
- improving how our website performs; and
- allowing third parties to provide services to our website.
We collect certain information from cookies that we may send to your computer to try and give you a personalised experience
Third party cookies
Our website may contain electronic image requests (called a single-pixel gif or web beacon request) that allow us to count page views and to access cookies. Any electronic image viewed as part of a web page (including an ad banner) can act as a web beacon. Our web beacons do not collect, gather, monitor or share any of your personal information. We merely use them to compile anonymous information about our website.
We collect certain information from web beacons on our website to compile anonymous information about our website.
You may also provide additional information to us on a voluntary basis (optional information). This includes when you interact with us, respond to surveys, or use the optional features and functionality of our website.
We collect certain optional information, that you provide when you interact with us, respond to surveys or use the optional features and functionality of our website.
We may monitor and record any telephone calls that you make to us, unless you specifically request us not to.
Purpose for collection
We may use or process any information or optional information that you provide to us for the purposes that you indicated when you agreed to provide it to us. Processing includes gathering your personal information, disclosing it, and combining it with other personal information. We collect and process your personal information for various purposes, including:
- canvassing purposes – such as identifying supporters and their concerns, registering members, and helping to add persons to the voters’ roll;
- fundraising purposes – such as identifying past, present and potential future donors;
- informational purposes – such as encouraging persons to exercise their rights in the South African democracy; and
- donations purposes – such as asking you for donations directly, if you have consented to receiving those communications from us.
We may use your usage information for the purposes described above and to:
- remember your information so that you will not have to re-submit it during your next interaction with us, or the next time you access our website;
- monitor support history, supporter contact preferences and website usage metrics and activities;
We may use any of your personal information that you provide to us for the purposes that you indicated when you agreed to provide it to us.
Consent to collection
We will obtain your consent to collect personal information:
- in accordance with applicable law;
- when you provide us with any registration information or optional information.
We will get your consent to collect your personal information in accordance with applicable law when you provide us with it.
We may change the terms of this policy at any time by updating it. We will notify you of any changes by placing a notice in a prominent place on the website, making the new policy available on our website, or by sending you an email detailing the changes that we have made and indicating the date that they were last updated.
We may use your personal information to fulfil our obligations to you, or for the purposes for which we have collected it. We will delete your personal information once the purpose for which we have collected it has been completed.
Messages and updates
We may send administrative messages and email updates to you about the party or our website. In some cases, we may also send you primarily canvassing or informational messages. You can choose to opt-out of canvassing or informational messages.
We will never send you direct marketing messages (such as asking for donations), unless you have consented to receiving these messages. We may send you a single, unsolicited message asking for your consent to do so.
We may use your information to send you administrative messages and email updates to you regarding the party or our website and for canvassing and informational purposes where lawful.
We may share your personal information with:
- other parties who provide us with processing services where appropriate.
We may share your personal information with third parties for the purposes of fulfilling our obligations to you among other purposes.
We may disclose your personal information as required by law or governmental audit.
We may disclose personal information if required:
- by a subpoena or court order;
- to comply with any law;
- to protect the safety of any individual or the general public.
We may disclose personal information to third parties if required for legal reasons.
We may need to disclose personal information to our employees that require the personal information to do their jobs. These include our responsible management, human resources, accounting, audit, compliance, information technology, or other personnel.
Change of entity
If we undergo a merger with another entity, we may assign our rights to the personal information we process to a successor or separate entity. We will disclose the transfer on our website. If you are concerned about your personal information migrating to a new owner, you may request us to delete your personal information.
We take the security of personal information very seriously and always do our best to comply with applicable data protection laws. Our hosting company will host our website in a secure server environment that uses a firewall and other advanced security measures to prevent interference or access from outside intruders. We authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities. We implement disaster recover procedures where appropriate.
Our website is hosted on a secure server and uses security measures to prevent interference by intruders.
Accurate and up to date
We will try to keep the personal information we collect as accurate, complete and up to date as is necessary for the purposes defined in this policy. From time to time we may request you to update your personal information, or you can keep your information up to date via our website’s self-canvass functionality.
Please keep your personal information accurate and up to date by updating it yourself, or by emailing us, phoning us, or responding to our requests to update your information.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes explicitly set out in this policy, unless:
- retention of the record is required or authorised by law; or
- you have consented to the retention of the record.
During the period of retention, we will continue to abide by our non-disclosure obligations and will not share or sell your personal information.
We may retain your personal information in physical or electronic records at our discretion.
If we are required to stop processing and delete your personal information (for example, when required to do so by law), we will retain some of your personal information in a Do Not Contact list, and take all reasonable steps to ensure that we do not inadvertently process your personal information again. If you consent to us processing your personal information again in the future, we may remove your personal information from the Do Not Contact list.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as is necessary.
Transfer to another country
We may transmit or transfer personal information outside of the country in which it was collected to a foreign country and process it in that country. Personal information may be stored on servers located outside the country in which it was collected in a foreign country whose laws protecting personal information may not be as stringent as the laws in the country in which it was collected. You consent to us processing your personal information in a foreign country whose laws regarding processing of personal information may be less stringent.
We may transfer your personal information outside the country in which it was collected to a foreign country.
We are not responsible for, give no warranties, nor make any representations in respect of the privacy policies or practices of linked or any third-party websites.