Suhla James Masango was elected Deputy Chairperson of the Federal Council at DA Federal Congress 2020.
With roots in the Student Movement in the late 70s, James first joined the DA’s predecessor, the Democratic Party, in August 1994 and in 1995 he co-opted to the Mpumalanga Provincial Executive Committee.
James currently serves on the DA Federal Candidates Election Committee.
He served as a member of Parliament from 2004 to 2019.
His vast career includes being:
- Elected constituency chairperson for Govan Mbeki Municipality in 1998, serving until 2004.
- Elected provincial deputy chairperson for the Democratic Party in 2000.
- Elected Ward 5 Councilor December 2000 for Govan Mbeki Municipality for the DA and indirectly elected as a councillor at Gert Sibande District Council.
- Appointed the political administrator of DA Limpopo Province in late 2007 before handing over after the Provincial Congress in December 2008 to the newly elected leadership.
- Appointed to the Federal Legal Commission of the DA from 2007 until 2015, serving on the Federal Executive Committee and Federal Council of the DA from 2005 until 2018.
- Elected provincial chairperson in April 2005 and re-elected in 2007, 2009 and 2012, serving until April 2015 when he was elected provincial leader.
- Elected DA national caucus chairperson in 2009, serving until November 2011 upon which time he was transferred to the Legislature and served as chief whip.
- Elected DA national caucus whip in 2014, serving until August 2015 when he was transferred to the Mpumalanga Legislature to serve as Leader of the Opposition until 7 May 2019.